Good Times in Tokyo

See what happens when people stop being polite and start getting oolong'd.

21 September 2005

Bring a book.

This morning I got up pretty early and got ready to go to the second day of classes. When I was putting away my laundry from last night I realised that maybe I should do laundry more often. Since I had almost no room on my clothes drying hanger for my clothes I had my clothes hanging up around my room. My first expirience with air drying clothes...

So after rearranging the drying laundry I went on my way to school. I got there kind of early so I found some guys and we sat around until class started. The next class was called "Ecology and Business". I wasn't really planning on taking the class, but I thought I would go for one session to see how it was. It was even more business talk than I had thought. It was slightly interesting about how more and more companies are finally realising that the earth isn't an un-ending supply. The teacher is from Switzerland and still is partial owner of some company there that helps other big buisnesses use sustainable practices. But overall I could care less about buisness and I don't need the class, so I don't think I will take it.

Afterwards I had lunch at the cafeteria there. The cafeteria is really funny because Hosei students are so flamboyant. They really want you to look at them. But when the lone white people walked into the room, all eyes were on us. When we sat down people would just come by and say "hello" and leave. This one girl that was sitting next to us would ask us questions and then laugh. I didn't really get what was so funny, but something was. One guy asked me where I was from and when I told him Kansas he said that he reckongised Kansas because he had been in Iowa for a month. Random.

After lunch I had about one and a half hours until the next class. I helped another exchange student, Quentin from France, find the Post office then we just sat around until the next class.

The next class was Japanese 3a. It wasn't really too hard but everything was in Japanese so it took a while to figure out what the teacher even wanted us to answer. She was a pretty nice lady though and hopefully the class will help out my Japanese a lot. After class I went back on the trains to the dorms. Exciting.

I noticed today that it has cooled off a lot. I think the high was 24 degrees today. As opposed to it being like 27 or 28. I'm not sure what that is in Faranheit but it's much cooler. So hopefully this is the begginning of the nice cool autumn season I have heard about in Japan. Sweating your weight in water kind of got old in the first week.

Since I don't have much else to say about today I guess I can talk about the other exchange students here that I have been hanging out with. They are a very diverse group of people from all over. For most of them, english is their 2nd or 3rd language . So communication can get interesting sometime. Sometimes I feel guilty and stupid for pretty much only knowing english while everyone else is fluent in at least 2 or 3 languages. But in America we are never really taught the whole international world thing. I guess we assume that since english is de facto in so many states around the world, there is no use in learning another language. Anyway, even though our group is so diverse I feel that we have a lot in common just because we have studied japanese and, for the most part, no one likes anime. I'm pretty happy with the group of people that has come this year. Everyone is really cool and we can all hang out together. Which apparently hasn't always happened in the past with the exchange students here. And it's kind of good to feel like a part of a group when you are definately the outsider 99% of the time in Japan.

I think that when school gets more normal more of these posts are going to be like this. Kind of boring. But oh well. I'm sure there will be some sort of crazy japanese happening everyday.

1 Comments:

  • At 22/9/05 01:56, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Back to Business? I knew you would come over back to the dark sidE! Miss ya and sorry I missed your call!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home