Good Times in Tokyo

See what happens when people stop being polite and start getting oolong'd.

12 October 2005

Bimbo

Today I got to sleep in until 11:30. Which was great, becuase it was a Wednesday. And sleeping in in the middle of the week is always good. I only have one class on Wednesdays and it is at 3.

Yesterday I thought that maybe if I started bringing my lunch to school it might save me some money. So I planned to today go to the local grocery store and see about getting lunch meat, peanut butter bread and whatever else you make for sack lunches. Well as I found out today, lunch meat is pretty much non existant in Japan. I looked all over the store today and finally found it with the meat section of the grocery store. I mean like the ground beef, sausege, chicken breasts etc. The only type of lunch meat available was ham. I guess it's popular. And deathly expensive. For 198 yen you got a package of four slices. Not such a good deal, at all. So I thought, maybe peanut butter sandwhiches will have to do. So after some more searching I find peanut butter. They had pretty much one option of a tiny jar of skippy for 358 yen. But I found something next to it called "Peanut Whip" and it was cheaper and bigger so I thought that could work. (I tried it later and it's pretty much pretty butter whipped up) So I bought the peanut butter and went back to see about the ham. I found some "value packs" with larger packages for "cheaper". I put cheaper in quotes because it is all relative. I ended up finding some decently priced ham after looking further on the shelf. Then randomly I found cans of chicken breast for 67 yen. They are the cans you would pay about $1.50 for in the US, so I was pretty excited. Also excited because I could actually read the package. (none of it was in english) So I think that between chicken breast, peanut butter and redunk ham I should be able to save some money during the week. Maybe about 1000yen to 1500yen per week? If it doesn't work, I'll be starting the ally mcbeal lunch of anorexia nervousa.

Then today after class I hung out with the girls and some people that I think were friends of a brother of one of the girls. Not entirely sure. We just went to this dingey little bar/restaurant for a bit. I left early to make sure I could catch dinner time here at the dorm.

Tonight at dinner they ran out of rice right before I got my food. And one of the ladies in charge told me (in really polite japanese) "please honourably wait, I am so sorry for being rude but the rice is not ready yet. It will be ready soon. Excuse my rudeness". I told her it was ok and got my food and ate. Apparently the rice machine was having problems or something becuase there never was any more rice. Not a big problem for me since my white body doesn't require rice. So I finished eating and I was putting away the dished, told the lady cleaning up thank you for the meal it was very good. And she asked me if I had eaten any rice. And I told her that I hadn't. To which she apologized profusely. I told her it was ok and I didn't need rice but she kept on apologizing. Just shows you the importance of rice in this country.

Not much else to say besides I got my bank card in the mail. So I have my first Japanese plastic. And it even has my name in Japanese. How chic.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home