Good Times in Tokyo

See what happens when people stop being polite and start getting oolong'd.

16 October 2005

First time

Since my commuter pass expired yesterday I had to buy another one today. It is supposed to save you money by buying all your fares for the month at one time. But for me I think it's actually just a decent price. Considering it takes 740 yen to get to campus from here. But with the commuter pass it ends up being about 200 a day. And you get to use it multiple times a day. Decent I guess. But not really cheap. After I bought the ticket (I had to go to a big station to buy it, Chofu station) I decided to cheat and get mcdonalds. Mostly because it is the only place where you can buy anything for 100 yen. And the McChicken sandwhich I ate had some type of dressing that resembled ranch dressing. So it was heaven for 100 yen.

When I was getting back from Chofu station I kept on hearing a lady's voice that sounded like it was from a megaphone. Not too uncommon to hear voices from loudspeakers just around Tokyo. Very 1984-esque. And then I saw a helicopter. Than I saw that the loudspeaker was from the helicopter. I have no idea what was going on really, but it wasn't as creepy as it would be in America. I couldn't really hear what the lady was saying except for something about China. The lady was really upbeat so I didn't think that this was the Chinese government telling us that Japan is being invaded. Although I wouldn't put it past them.

Then to add to the surreal day, I expirienced my first earthquake. You can read about it here.It was really weak here in Tokyo. The article talks about Ibaraki prefecture which is north of the prefecture northeast of Tokyo. At first my bookshelf started shaking and then the ground kind of rumbled for a bit. It just felt like a train went by. When you are in an earthquake they told us we are supposed to first open a door (to make sure you have an exit before the door frame warps and you can't open the door) and then get under something sturdy. But I definately forgot about all that and went to look for the video camera. But the whole thing happened in like 10 seconds. And it was really weak. But still pretty exciting. I was thinking I would have my first earthquake in a high floor at Hosei and scare the crap out of me. So this was a good intro to Japan life without panicking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home