Good Times in Tokyo

See what happens when people stop being polite and start getting oolong'd.

24 July 2006

Kaiten, Asakusa and fireworks

Last Friday I went to Kaiten Sushi with one of my students. Kaiten sushi is the sushi that comes around on a revolving belt. Then you count the waitress counts the plates for the bill. I'm not a huge sushi fan but it was fun all in all. I had kept on meaning to go to this kind of sushi resturaunt since I got here but just never have. Actually I think it's the first time I even went out to eat just sushi.




The whole shrimp


the whole squid


the menu


as impressive as that is, there were three of us eating.

Then on Saturday I went to Asakusa to have some good old fashioned Tokyo fun. I went to Asakusa sometime in October for the culture day festival. But it was really crowded and too many people so I had always wanted to go back. It's a fun place. I didn't really notice that before because of the massive amounts of people. I went to this Tempura place that was really good but it was nothing but old ladies working there. And for anyone who has been to Japan knows that the species of Japanese old woman is one of the rudest besides the French employee. I was sitting on two cushions because they were like that when I sat down and this old bird grabs ones from underneath me and says that I can only have one because it's the rules. Then she asks what we wanted to order. I guess in a country where everyone is pretty polite, it's tolerable to have these rude creatures elbowing you to get a seat on the train or pulling your seat out from underneath you.


The strange gold thing in the sky


Kaminari-mon. The gate to the temple at asakusa.


The main shopping street


a pagoda


A side street with an amusement park in the background


mural at the station


it's sideways because I forgot to change it but you can see the fake construction worker waving his orange stick. what you couldn't see was the real person behind him doing the same thing. hooray for employing useless people to do useless jobs on useless construction projects to not have unemploment.

2 Comments:

  • At 6/8/06 04:03, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Here are some links that I believe will be interested

     
  • At 16/8/06 22:49, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home