Good Times in Tokyo

See what happens when people stop being polite and start getting oolong'd.

11 December 2005

Japanese (I think...) Church

Today I went to a Japanese church with the people I met last thursday. They had invited me because it was the gospel concert. I'm not sure if it was really but it was good none the less. It was all in Japanese or Korean, but I got the jist of it. At the end of the concert thing, they asked all the first time visitors to stand up and I did, being the lone white person in the audience. Then they sang this song about loving each other. Kind of cultish, but what can you expect. Then after the initial concert thing, my horrible Japanese skills got me to some sort of bible study for "english" speakers. I put english in quotes because I think only 3 or 4 of us were actually native speakers. After that I met the people I had come with, because they had gone to a different place and went back. It was all really confusing because the people I was with were korean, but we were speaking Japanese. And sometimes I had no idea what they were saying. The girl kept on talking about "riyongo" and I didn't figure out she was saying "nihongo" (japanese) until I left. Another funny accent thing was she was telling me something about when we could meet and she said "koji ni au" (meet at "koji") So i asked her where "koji" was... turns out she was saying "goji" five o clock...we'll meet at five o clock. When the common language isn't a native language, things happen like that. It was all interesting, but I'm not really sure what just happened.

1 Comments:

  • At 14/12/05 02:04, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Scott,
    I really enjoy reading about all your experiences. I'm sure you are doing better than you think. Keep your chin up...

    Love, Melinda

     

Post a Comment

<< Home