Good Times in Tokyo

See what happens when people stop being polite and start getting oolong'd.

16 January 2006

Monday of Doneness

So I am finally done with the fall semester. (sans one research paper but I just have to finish it and turn it in. Not actually go to another class). I turned in my wonderful report of the Yakuza and did a Japanese test about Japanese idioms involving cats. Something interesting I learned about the Yakuza is that the name is from an old card game and the worst hand in that game was 8-9-3. And in old Japanese 8,9 and 3 are ya, ku, and za. But also it takes a lot of skill to get that hand, not just bad luck. So I guess the meaning is something about you have to have skill to be the worst.

Yesterday on TV one of the hosts was wearing a KU shirt with "Beat 'em Hawks" on the back. Japanese fashion involves thrift store shirts from the US especially random universities. I saw a Baylor shirt for sale at a premier vintage store once. They just love the clothes we throw away. And pay 3 times as much for it.

1 Comments:

  • At 17/1/06 02:56, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like an ebay opportunity...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home