Good Times in Tokyo

See what happens when people stop being polite and start getting oolong'd.

08 March 2006

Walking the streets

Yesterday I was returning from the grocery store about the time when they let all the kids out from school. They all were saying "Konnichi wa" to me and so on. So when I said it back, these two kids had the most surprised look on their faces and said "wow, he can speak Japanese. Let's show him we can speak English". So they said "See you!". Good times. They teach "see you" here in english classes as the way English people say goodbye to each other. And it appears to be the most popular phrase with kids. But the way they say it always sounds so funny. I don't know why.

So I went to check on my grades today, I had a pretty good surprise. All A's and two B's. Only in Japan. That will help with the Baylor grades. I still can't believe they call this "university", but it gave me 7 a's, so who cares.

Also today was one of my english students. He is going to go to Hong Kong next week and wants to know some 旅行会話 (ryokou kaiwa-Traveling conversation). He was telling me that he wanted to "walk the streets" in Hong Kong. I laughed and told him that "walking the streets" implies that he is a prostitute looking for business. The things you learn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home