Good Times in Tokyo

See what happens when people stop being polite and start getting oolong'd.

16 March 2006

Good News/Bad News: Part Deux

Some good news.

A lot of people have been moving out of the dorm lately, so they have been leaving all the stuff they can't take with them in the halls. So I got a stereo system for free. You can't beat that.

I'm leaving tomorrow to go to Iwate prefecture. If you are wondering where that is, don't be embarassed. Of all the people I have told where I am going, very few Tokyo-ites know where it is. And they say Americans are bad at geography. Here is a description of where it is. My Japanese teacher from high school lives there and offered a long time ago to anyone coming to Japan to visit. So 3 years later, I'm taking him up on the offer. The difference between Tokyo and Iwate is kind of like the difference between New York and Waco. Well maybe not exactly like that, but Iwate is thought of as country by people from Tokyo. I'm looking forward to seeing something besides cement and buildings. Plus my lungs are probably aching for non-polluted air.

Then some partly good partly bad news. Being a study abroad person I get to be the first to sign up for new classes. Which will be really nice. So I am pretty much guaranteed to get the classes I want. So I've been looking at the classes I'm needing and surprisingly I need very few. The bad news is I'm not too sure. Since my classes from Hosei haven't been recorded as taken yet, so it doesn't come up on my degree audit. And my emails about classes for this spring semester have yet to be answered. So who knows.

Then actual bad news. I got some pompus email from the St. Gallen Symposium telling me I wasn't one of the finalists. Which I can understand sort of since my essay was probably pretty bad. But they are required to pick 20 people from each country and they told us they really wanted someone from Hosei to go. And I was the only person from Hosei to apply, and I highly doubt the number of applicants from Japan was even above 20. So they must have really not liked me. Oh well, Europe is overrated. My relatives left there a while ago for a reason.

Other bad news slash funny news. I caught myself using the word "afraid" as a verb. As in "This afraids me". And that indeed does "afraid" me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home