Good Times in Tokyo

See what happens when people stop being polite and start getting oolong'd.

27 October 2005

Becoming a Teacher

This morning was pouring down rain of course on the way to uni. And by the time class was over the sun was out and it was no longer raining. Now we can definately start feeling that siberian air making it a bit colder in Tokyo. As long as it quits raining I'm fine with it getting cold.

I had my first semi-day at my teaching job. I got an email at about 2:00pm saying that the class was at 3:30, not 5:30 as I had thought. Thank goodness I emailed them this morning to make sure. Since it usually takes about an hour to get back from uni to the dorm, I was kind of nervous. I still had to go back to the dorms, change clothes and walk to Tsutsujigaoka station. I made good time somehow and was fine. The dress code for teaching was "office causual", leaving me to a dilemma since I had never worked in an office before. So I thought it would be better to be overdressed than underdressed. And overdressed I was. Maybe that makes me look more professional or something.

Anyway, I observed one class at 3:30. In the first class there were a boy and a girl ages 7 or 8 I think. They were pretty rowdy and didn't really want to do anything except play. But I suppose that's normal. Than the teacher let me take over his next class and I taught four 10 year old boys. I had been told they were also quite rowdy but they were pretty much model students for me. I think they were shy or something. Basically I got the jist of it. Tomorrow is my real first day because I will be on my own. I think I will be fine. Supposedly the group of girls I am teaching tomorrow are excited to meet me. So if tomorrow goes as well as today, I think all will be good.

2 Comments:

  • At 28/10/05 10:31, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dont pull a cindy or a mama jade - just teach the kids...(dont bring em home w/ya ;) miss u!

     
  • At 29/10/05 03:54, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome to the world of teaching! Be prepared to be exalted and humbled, often within a 5 minute period! Good luck. If things go well there, you can come to my classroom and teach some English to these knot-heads I have!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home