Good Times in Tokyo

See what happens when people stop being polite and start getting oolong'd.

16 November 2005

No longer Juan

I'm now a legal member of the working force. I went back to the immigration office today and got my work visa. It only took like 10 minutes today though. So no big wait like last time. Atilla needed to change his visa to a multiple entry visa so he went with me. He also didn't take that long so we decided to go to Daiba since we were nearby. (so we thought). Daiba(台場), literally machine place, was originally a huge concrete slab made into an island for putting guns on during WWII. Hence the name. Now it's a strange fake island of pure fakeness. No one actually lives on the island but there are tons of shops and amusement places there.

Anyway so after taking a taxi we got there. My second time in a Japanese taxi and this time I was the one who knew the most Japanese so I am surprised I didn't get us lost. The driver just looked at me when I was trying to tell him where I wanted to go, so I finally just said "Daiba", and he understood that. Arg my lack of Japanese. We ended up going to this toyota motor show and looking at concept cars and taking a ride in an electric car. It was really funny because I think we were the sole foreigners on the entire island that day.


This is Atilla "driving" the car. The car was on a magnetic track and was driving itself.


Here is me being a good Japanese passenger.


The sign reminding us about seatbelts. Pretty important because this speed demon went 15 km/h once.

After the motor show we went onto the amusement part of the place. There was a huge ferris wheel there that claimed to be the largest ferris wheel in the world. It was 150 metres at the top. We chose to get in the transparent car so it seemed even higher up to me. Thankfully it was a really clear day so you could so really far. You could see mount fuji even.

This is taking way too long with the pictures. Maybe tomorrow the internet will be faster and I'll put more up. I got some good ones from the ferris wheel.

So we took the monorail back to inner Tokyo and went onto uni after that. It was a good view from the monorail so good times. After classes today I went with Rachel to the bible study for the college group at Tokyo baptist. They did not have any english books of the lessons so I used the Japanese version and actually understood quite a lot of it. Exciting.

1 Comments:

  • At 18/11/05 08:18, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Score!! 15 mph!! watch out speed demon - I thought the fast that you went was only 10!!! I hope you buckled the kids up!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home